Re: dpkg conffiles

Hi,

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009, Jonathan Steel wrote:
> I ran into a situation when creating some custom debs that may not be
> the best solution. I believe dpkg is working according to the rule that
> all files that go into /etc are considered conffiles, and are listed in
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/package.conffiles. When you remove the package, these
> conf files are not removed, and the stay listed in the package.list
> file. This makes sense to me.
>
> However, when creating some custom packages that are installed into a
> non standard spot, I have some files I don't think should be considered
> conf files. Specifically, I have installed a library into /opt/pkgs, and
> so ldconfig needs to know how to find it. My solution was to create a
> file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/package.conf installed by the package so that
> ldconfig knows to search that location. When I remove the package, I
> would think that this file should be removed as well, but its not
> because its considered a conf file.
>
> Is there a way that I can tell the package its not a conf file?

Don't list it in the "conffiles" filelist. However dh_installdeb doesn't
let you select manually the files. You have to manually tweak
debian/<pkg>/DEBIAN/conffiles _after_ the dh_installdeb call.

Note that debian-dpkg@l.d.o is meant to discuss the development of dpkg.
Your question was better suited to debian-mentors@lists.debian.org.

Raphaël Hertzog