dpkg conffiles

Hi

I ran into a situation when creating some custom debs that may not be the best solution. I believe dpkg is working according to the rule that all files that go into /etc are considered conffiles, and are listed in /var/lib/dpkg/info/package.conffiles. When you remove the package, these conf files are not removed, and the stay listed in the package.list file. This makes sense to me.

However, when creating some custom packages that are installed into a non standard spot, I have some files I don't think should be considered conf files. Specifically, I have installed a library into /opt/pkgs, and so ldconfig needs to know how to find it. My solution was to create a file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/package.conf installed by the package so that ldconfig knows to search that location. When I remove the package, I would think that this file should be removed as well, but its not because its considered a conf file.

Is there a way that I can tell the package its not a conf file?

Thanks

Jon