Re: RFC: Idea for improved diversions and alternatives handling

Tollef Fog Heen writes ("Re: RFC: Idea for improved diversions and alternatives handling"):
> And the uncommon case:
> debian/foo.divert:
> /lib/libc.so.6 /lib/foo/libc.so.6
>
> (Whose responsibility it is to ensure /lib/foo exists in that scenario
> is something I'm not completely sure about, but it probably makes sense
> for it to be dpkg, making sure it's root:root 0644).

If we can get the ordering right perhaps we can delay the actual
renaming of the file to the new name until the replacement from the
diverting packages' version is unpacked.  Then diverting package's
filesystem archive could contain the directory and it wouldn't
necessarily be too late.

Ian.