Re: RFC: Idea for improved diversions and alternatives handling

James Vega writes ("Re: RFC: Idea for improved diversions and alternatives handling"):
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 06:40:23PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > What should happen when several packages divert the same file ?
> > Which one wins ? What about original files, what do they become ?
>
> Several packages shouldn't divert the same file, IMO.  diversions
> are useful for specific circumstances and the diverted/diverting
> packages should be closely related (if not from the source).
> Alternatives are the better solution when there are myriad,
> non-conflicting sources which may provide the same file.

That's all very well but what about transitions ?
For example:

  old A diverts and contains /usr/bin/p /usr/bin/p
  new A does nothing with /usr/bin/p
  old B does nothing with /usr/bin/p
  new B replaces old A, diverts and contains /usr/bin/p

Do we regard B's replacement of A to mean that B's diversion of A
should be compatible with A's ?  etc.

This all needs some careful thought I think, to make sure we get all
of the corner cases right.

Ian.