Re: Another multiarch decision

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>>> So I think for Multi-Arch: abi packages the /usr/share/doc/<package>
>>> in its entirety should be renamed and now there is a choice to make:
>>
>> I like none of your suggestions. I'd like to suggest to rely on the
>> work done by Tollef that lets dpkg skip some files in packages. The first
>> purpose was to strip doc and locale data in some embedded usage
>> but it could be improved with new rules that exclude such common
>> name spaces for package which are for another architecture
>> than the current one.
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> So when I install iceweasel 32bit on amd64 (for stupid plugins) I will
> have no copyright, changelog nor license? I doubt that would be legal.
> Even for libaries there is no garanty that the native flavour of a
> library will be present when another architectures flavour is
> installed.
>
> If a user wants to skip them that is their problem but Debian shipping
> a dpkg that skips them allways or by default would be problematic.

Maybe install the first one and skip the next? ie, if I install iceweasel 32
bits first, then /u/s/d/iceweasel gets installed. When I install the amd64
version, /u/s/d/iceweasel gets skipped.

Another option would be for dpkg to automatically assume that each arch
Replaces: the same package for other archs, and so it will just overwrite said
files.

--

  Felipe Sateler