Re: sourcev3 branch - quilt based source package

Hi,

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> We're approaching a state where it could be merged. What's left is:
> - update entirely the dpkg-source manual page
> - copy upstream tarballs in the extraction directory for
>   all formats (and take it the relevant part out of the Format: 1.0 code).

All this has been done.

> - add non-regression tests on (some of) the modules created

This is not yet done but I don't consider it a blocker for the
merge.

I updated the packages on
http://people.debian.org/~hertzog/packages/dpkg_1.14.17~srcv3_i386.changes

Feel free to update and test.

> Allow removal of files with patches. I think I'm going to implement this
> one. It simply requires adding -E to the patch call and quilt already
> use -E by default. However I won't change the fact that a removed file
> is ignored during generation of a patch (at least by default, maybe I'll
> add an option to change this behaviour).

This is also done. And a --include-removal option has been added to
add removed files to the automatic patch generated.

> Ignore by default all VCS specific directories in native tarballs.

The 2.0, 3.0 (quilt) and 3.0 (native) formats will ignore by default
VCS specific files and other temporary files.

FTR, the current changelog entry of the merge looks like this:

  * Merge of the sourcev3 branch which add support for several new source
    package formats.
    - the format "2.0" is the original wig&pen
    - the format "3.0 (quilt)" uses a tarball for the debian directory and
      can thus include binary files. Closes: #4588, #4628
    - thus it will also preserve timestamps on Debian-provided
      documentation like README.Debian. Closes: #366555
    - it handles an explicit serie of patches and the patch can thus be
      named without constraints. Patches can contain arbitrary
      headers/comments between file chunks. Closes: #363018
    - it ignores changes on a number of temporary and VCS-specific files
      by default. Closes: #203792, #323909
    - the patches in debian/patches can remove files. Closes: #12564
    - the patches are applied at unpack time. Closes: #463048
    - the formats "3.0 (quilt/native)" don't include VCS directories by
      default. Closes: #435126
    - the format "3.0 (custom)" can be used to create a source package
      containing arbitrary files. It's useful for helper tools that can
      generate the files by themselves in a more efficient way
      (like all the *-buildpackage tools). Closes: #246918
    - the formats "3.0 (git/bzr)" are experimental formats based
      on corresponding VCS repositories.
  * dpkg-source has a new --no-check option. It disables GPG check and
    checksums checks. Closes: #220758

Raphaël Hertzog