Re: Typos in dpkg man pages

Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> writes:

>> #:../../man/dpkg-buildpackage.1:145
>> -(for example by using B</usr/local/bin/make -f debian/rules> as I<rules-file>)
>> +(for example by calling B</usr/local/bin/make -f debian/rules> to build the package)
>
> I don't think this change is correct, as here it's referring to it as
> an argument to a command line option.

For what it's worth, the standard POD markup to use for the make example
here is C<>, not B<>.

>> -"O2> , or B<-g\\ -O0> if B<noopt> is specified in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS). "
>> +"O2>, or B<-g\\ -O0> if B<noopt> is specified in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS). "

C<> here as well, conventionally, for the flags.

>> #: ../../man/dpkg-checkbuilddeps.1:33
>> -"debian/control file."
>> +"I<debian/control> file."
>
> Fixed all these.

File names are conventionally F<>, not I<>.

>> #: ../../man/dpkg-genchanges.1:85
>> Here I noticed that for some man pages you use B<> to denote file
>> names, while for others you use I<>. This possibly should be unified.
>
> I'll put this in my TODO for the man pages and take a look later.

Conventionally, you'd change both to F<>.

>> #: ../../man/start-stop-daemon.8:192
>> -"specify a group by appending a B<:>, then the group or gid in the same way "
>> +"specify a group by appending a B<:>, then describe the group or gid in the same way "

C<> here.

Note that all of the comments above are just if you want to follow the
conventions used in Perl documentation and documented in the POD
specification.  If you're intentionally using a different markup
convention, please feel free to ignore these comments.