merging configuration files on update, timeline?

Hi,
I just saw Ian's mail announcing the triggers support in
dpkg[0] which I think is a very nice feature I am wondering
if there are any plans to have the possibility to merge
configuration files on package updates in lenny?

There are lots of patches for this in the BTS and I looking
at the needs of users and package tools of other
distributions I think we are pretty much lagging behind with
this. This is not meant as a rant if it sounds like...

Just wanted to know, what priority does this feature have
for you?

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/03/msg00236.html

Kind regards
Nico