Re: [RFC] Enhance checksum support

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 08:46:15PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > Hmm, that might indeed be a good idea (the point to remove the Files
> > field would be v3 then).
>
> Note it also affects *.changes files.

Yeah, but the decision for both when to break backwards compatibility
is independent from each other.

[...]
> > If we want we could even declare size also to be a checksum and include
> > only the filenames in the Contents field.
>
> This makes sense from the logical point of view as the size is certainly
> not useful except to verify that the files are the same... on the other
> hand it would need some special casing as it wouldn't be calculated by an
> external program. So a slight preference to keep it in Contents for me but
> I would'nt mind if you decided the other way.

Note that in my patch the size is already handled inside
Dpkg::Checksums. But I disagree that its only use is as a checksum.
e.g. it is also useful for calculating download sizes for the whole
source package. So it is slightly more versatile than other information.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/