Re: Transition to GNU's install-info

Hi all,

On Do, 22 Mai 2008, Sven Joachim wrote:
> >From the texinfo NEWS file and the output of the respective
> `install-info --help' commands, I get the impression that all options of
> dpkg's install-info are supported in texinfo's install-info as of

Yes they are.

> - create a separate install-info package from the texinfo source that
>   Replaces: dpkg (< 1.15.0)
>
> - remove {cleanup,install}-info files from dpkg and let dpkg 1.15.x
>   pre-depend on install-info
>
> But another question is: what exactly do we want from install-info?
> Reading the threads from May 2006, there seems to be no consensus.  Some
> people want a database and recreate the dir file from that, like it's
> done for the Debian menu, and GNU's install-info is probably unsuitable
> for that.

Right.

> Another feature that would be very desirable is triggers support.  In
> the long run, install-info should probably not be Priority: Required, as
> it's only useful if a package providing info-browser is installed.

Right. So the install-info package should declare an interest in
/usr/share/info and call the necessary stuff.

There is a long transition plan in the svn repository but looking at the
triggers I believe that we can shorten all that to:
- new install-info packages (as above) with interest in /usr/share/info
- a script the regenerates the dir file from all the info files present
  when begin triggered
- an update to dh_installinfo to do *nothing* but dropping the files
  into /usr/share/info

Now, there is only one problem. I am short on time and overloaded with
TeX Live work. The Debian TeX Group is rather short on man power ATM,
and I have enough to do there.

Unfortunately, Josip from whom I took over the package at some point and
who declared interest in helping, never continued, still hoping (hint
hint ;-)))

On Mo, 17 Mär 2008, preining wrote:
> > I was on an extended hiatus at the time you took over. I'm pretty much back
> > these days, and if you wish to put pressure on me to do some work, feel free
> > to put me back into the Uploaders: field :)
[...]
> So if you want to help, which would be greatly appreciated, there are
> some things which would need serious thinking and preparation, nothing
> overly complicated: The install-info transition. Most Debian i-i options
> are already implemented in the prerelease version of texinfo (currently
> 4.9.94). There is a transition plan in the svn repository, but we need
> someone to take a few hours/days time to think about it.

I am fine with anyone investing some work, sending me patches, or even
commiting stuff to the svn repository, I will give write permissions
(and as long as you don't hack around in the other stuff like texlive
which is very fragile ...).

Best wishes

Norbert

BURLESTON
That peculiarly tuneless humming and whistling adopted by people who
are extremely angry.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff