Re: Quoting rules for --help output in dpkg-* tools?

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> while translating the scripts for dpkg, I noticed that sometimes
> output in --help is quoted, sometimes it is not. I did not understand
> the rule and since it might have happend on accident, I'd like to
> clarify.
>
> Example:
> dpkg-source --help
>
> For:   -i[<regexp>]             filter out files to ignore diffs of
>                              (defaults to: '
> 			                 ~~~~~
> But:   -I[<pattern>]            filter out files when building tarballs
>                              (defaults to: -I*.a
> 			                ~~~~~
> So in one case (-i) the quotes are there, but in the other (-I) they
> are not.

I think it's because in the first case we only give the default value of
<regexp> while in the second case we repeat the -I option with each
entry... also the regexp is quite big so it's maybe easier to detect its
end when it's enclosed in quotes.

But I wouldn't bother too much with such details. :)

Raphaël Hertzog