Quoting rules for --help output in dpkg-* tools?

Hello,
while translating the scripts for dpkg, I noticed that sometimes
output in --help is quoted, sometimes it is not. I did not understand
the rule and since it might have happend on accident, I'd like to
clarify.

Example:
dpkg-source --help

For:   -i[<regexp>]             filter out files to ignore diffs of
                             (defaults to: '
			                 ~~~~~
But:   -I[<pattern>]            filter out files when building tarballs
                             (defaults to: -I*.a
			                ~~~~~
So in one case (-i) the quotes are there, but in the other (-I) they
are not.

Thanks for clarification.

Greetings

           Helge