Git internal format and compatibilty

[ Taking this to debian-dpkg, the ftp.debian.org bug report is not the
place to discuss this ]

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, Joey Hess wrote:
> What git version? Git repositories do not have a version number.

The version of the software called "git" (we have nothing better to
identify the internal format AFAIK).

> > so that if Git's internal format changes in some incompatible way
> > it's possible to identify which source package use the old format.
>
> If git's "internal" (aka "external") format changes in some incompatible
> way, then every published git repo on the internet will be broken.

If the internal format changes, I expect that git will upgrade it in place
or something similar. However a source package published in a given
release is a git repository that nobody use and will thus never be
upgraded to a newer format. And after some time, we'll have lost the
ability to extract older source packages.

Raphaël Hertzog