Re: Base freeze and dpkg

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi Luk,

Hi dpkg maintainers

> On Wed, 09 Apr 2008, Luk Claes wrote:
>>> I don't see any problem with adding features up to the point of the
>>> freeze, and I think others on the team share the same opinion.
>> It's a problem as the package would still need to migrate while being
>> frozen...
> [...]
>> It was announced very early that the toolchain freeze would be early
>> april...
>
> You're right, but there was no precise fixed date and in the mean time,
> the transition to perl 5.10 (which is a change way bigger than this dpkg
> upload) has not happened and is still not scheduled precisely (not before
> the 16th as I understand it). Perl is frozen, too...

Freezing is indeed per package as are freeze exceptions...

> And part of the reason why dpkg hasn't been uploaded to sid is because
> we have taken care to upload to experimental first and to fix problems
> discovered. And there have been a few that you might not have seen:
> - sbuild/dupload broken by the new Checksums field, we have added a
>   work-around
> - several programs parsing the output of dpkg-source broken by my changes,
>   we reverted to the previous string for this
> - FTBFS and run time failures related to the new default value for
>   CFLAGS/LDFLAGS/etc. We reverted the default value for LDFLAGS.
> - now this debsign issue

All seen and they kind of prove that it are new features which have more
impact than just fixing major bugs...

> All in all, the code in dpkg 1.14.18 is _ready_ and quite well tested.

I'm not so sure about that, but I would welcome you to prove it is...

> And we do our best to help the release by not breaking things, in return
> you have to support our work and accept a freeze exception given our
> intent to merge those features in dpkg's Lenny.

Freeze exceptions are coordinated on debian-release@l.d.o and usually
need at least a description of the changes and preferably a (link to a)
debdiff.

> Sorry, there's not only the triggers, there's the new source package
> formats that have been merged even before the triggers and I won't
> accept that you require us to revert that change. I have worked on this
> several weeks during February/March precisely to meet the freeze target
> and I was ready in time.

Ready for the freeze would have been having a stable package in testing...

Please do send a freeze exception request to debian-release@l.d.o as
mentioned earlier so we can look into the details.

Cheers

Luk