Base freeze and dpkg

Hi Luk,

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008, Luk Claes wrote:
> > I don't see any problem with adding features up to the point of the
> > freeze, and I think others on the team share the same opinion.
>
> It's a problem as the package would still need to migrate while being
> frozen...
[...]
> It was announced very early that the toolchain freeze would be early
> april...

You're right, but there was no precise fixed date and in the mean time,
the transition to perl 5.10 (which is a change way bigger than this dpkg
upload) has not happened and is still not scheduled precisely (not before
the 16th as I understand it). Perl is frozen, too...

And part of the reason why dpkg hasn't been uploaded to sid is because
we have taken care to upload to experimental first and to fix problems
discovered. And there have been a few that you might not have seen:
- sbuild/dupload broken by the new Checksums field, we have added a
  work-around
- several programs parsing the output of dpkg-source broken by my changes,
  we reverted to the previous string for this
- FTBFS and run time failures related to the new default value for
  CFLAGS/LDFLAGS/etc. We reverted the default value for LDFLAGS.
- now this debsign issue

All in all, the code in dpkg 1.14.18 is _ready_ and quite well tested.
And we do our best to help the release by not breaking things, in return
you have to support our work and accept a freeze exception given our
intent to merge those features in dpkg's Lenny.

And now we have plenty of time to fix up any remaining details until the
release. But dpkg is not going to be a release blocker in any way
and you're not goint to loose anything by allowing into Lenny.

> >> Note that in particular the triggers support and any RC bug fixes are
> >> still candidates for migration to testing, though other features might
> >> not be depending on their impact...

Sorry, there's not only the triggers, there's the new source package
formats that have been merged even before the triggers and I won't
accept that you require us to revert that change. I have worked on this
several weeks during February/March precisely to meet the freeze target
and I was ready in time.

Raphaël Hertzog