Re: new source package format in dpkg-dev

Hi Raphael,

> In particular I want feedback on the "3.0 (quilt)" format which
> I'd like to promote as the standard format for non-native packages
> in lenny+1.

I just tried it on one of my quilt-using packages, it seems to be
working great and is pretty easy to use, very nicely done!

The thing I hadn't realized, and it's obvious in hindsight, is that
the automatic patch generated by dpkg-source when the package has
changes not covered by the existing patches only includes diffs
against upstream, not against the previous version of the debian
dir.  It makes the patch somewhat less useful than I had originally
imagined; I thought that it would be used for NMUs but we'll still
have to debdiff the two source packages to have a complete diff.

By the way, debdiff will have to be made smarter because the current
version generates noisy diffs which include the interdiff against
upstream, the files being patched in their entirety, plus the
generated patch.  For example between the two source packages below
I just ran "sed -i '10,20d' README" (and "dch -i foo"):

$ debdiff libpcap0.8_0.9.8-4.dsc libpcap0.8_0.9.8-5.dsc
 .pc/applied-patches                        |    1
 .pc/debian-changes-0.9.8-5.diff/README     |   94 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 README                                     |   11 ---
 debian/changelog                           |    6 +
 debian/patches/debian-changes-0.9.8-5.diff |   20 ++++++
 debian/patches/series                      |    1
$

> Of course, if you notice any regression in the default behaviour for
> the current source package format, please tell me as well.

None sighted so far.

--
Romain Francoise <rfrancoise@debian.org>
http://people.debian.org/~rfrancoise/