How to move a conffile?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to move a conffile during a package upgrade - to take a classic example, moving /etc/foopackage.conf to /etc/foopackage/foopackage.conf .

The page http://wiki.debian.org/DpkgConffileHandling has information on this, and I also found Scott James Remnant's email <http://teams.debian.net/lurker/message/20080203.115324.e5d99432.en.html> referring people to the Ubuntu udev package for updated versions of the scripts, but these scripts don't seem to address the case of a conffile being moved *and* a new version being shipped at the same time.

Indeed, I think handling that eventuality may actually be impossible from maintainer scripts alone. I'd be delighted if anyone could prove me wrong, or if not, confirm my suspicion so I can stop wondering if there's a solution out there that I haven't seen :-)

Thanks,
Max.