Re: git bikeshedding (Re: triggers in dpkg, and dpkg maintenance)

Raphael Hertzog writes ("Re: git bikeshedding (Re: triggers in dpkg, and dpkg maintenance)"):
> I spent hours trying to help you on IRC and on debian-dpkg@l.d.o while you
> were learning git, and I have the feeling that I lost my time with you.

I'm sorry you feel that way.  I appreciate the help you gave me.  It
was very useful; particularly your help getting my branches on alioth
was good.  Thanks.  (Perhaps I didn't say that clearly enough.)

But only part of what you were doing was giving me help.  You were
also trying to convince me that rebasing my branch was the right thing
to do.  That is of course fine; there is no problem with you trying
to convince me of something.

But I'm afraid that I'm still not convinced.  Perhaps you consider
time trying to convince someone wasted, if they do not afterwards
agree.  I don't like to see it like that.  I hope that even though we
perhaps do not agree, we may gain valuable insights, and in any case
it is usually a risk worth taking.  And of course from my point of
view if I try to convince you of something another possibility is that
you will convince me instead, which is also constructive.

In this particular case I could have discussed it just with you some
more of course.  But our conversations were going round in circles.
It didn't seem to me that either of us could or would find anything
new or interesting toi say - something that would advance the
argument and maybe persuade one of us.

I could have argued about it some more with you anyway.  But this does
not help anyone.  The discussion would become repetitive and
bad-tempered.  We would just become more upset with each other.  (IRC
would have been a bad idea because that just makes flameage worse
IME.)

I could have waited and hoped that one of us would change our mind.  I
did in fact try this.  But we are still convinced.

Which leaves me with two options: just give in, or try to bring in
some wider points of view.  I don't want to just give in because I
think this is an important question about the dpkg workflow.  I am
much less interested in working on dpkg if I am going to spend so much
of my time polishing revision logs, prettifying and reorganising
patches, and so on.  I would rather work on the code.

So I do the only thing left: ask a wider audience.  This doesn't mean
I hate you.  I do still disagree with you though and I think it's
reasonable to ask -devel about what seems like an important question.
I'm still hoping that -devel will be able to come to a consensus
(which I don't think it has yet), and that may demonstrate to one of
us that we should (perhaps reluctantly) give in.

> You skip over http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/02/msg01100.html
> but you ACK on http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/02/msg01058.html.
>
> Both of which are from the same contributor.

Err, I responded to that message here I think:
which predates this message of yours.  I didn't respond to it
quite as immediately, it's true but I wasn't ignoring it.

Ian.