Re: ChangeLog handling and git wrapper for translators

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog writes ("ChangeLog handling and git wrapper for translators"):
> > there's lot of duplication between various ChangeLogs and the git commit
> > message. This I have written a script to update the various ChangeLogs
> > based on the git history. There's even some checks to properly dispatch
> > the commits in the various ChangeLogs.
>
> I think this is not quite the right approach.  I would suggest
> instead:
>
>  * Delete dpkg/ChangeLog.  This file is useless.

It might not be useless for everyone.

>  * When we want complete and accurate commit history, use git log.

For us, it's good enough. But generating a ChangeLog file doesn't cost us
much and it can be useful to anyone doing "apt-get source dpkg".

>  * Ensure that debian/changelog contains human-readable and redacted
>    information.  For simple changes `debcommit' does the right thing.
>    For more complex changes, perhaps ones which consist of several
>    commits, the debian/changelog can be written with coherent
>    information by hand.

I don't always put in debian/changelog an entry for changes which do not
impact directly what the users will experience (think simple code
refactoring).

In fact, I quite like to write the debian/changelog entry by explaining
the user-side of the change, while the commit message is longer and
explains the developer side of the change.

Raphaël Hertzog