Re: ChangeLog handling and git wrapper for translators

"Raphael Hertzog" <hertzog@debian.org> wrote in message [🔎] 20071211080053.GB8726@ouaza.com">news:[🔎] 20071211080053.GB8726@ouaza.com...
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 10:39:19PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> there's lot of duplication between various ChangeLogs and the git > commit
> message. This I have written a script to update the various ChangeLogs
> based on the git history. There's even some checks to properly dispatch
> the commits in the various ChangeLogs.
> We'll just have to run "maint-tools/update-changelos" once before each
> release to update all the ChangeLogs. This will avoid many conflicts on
> ChangeLogs... and it will be one hassle less for contributors.

I definetly agree with your goal, to reduce duplication of changelog
information. But if we're already changing this, let's consider a
revolution instead of reformation ;) Do we really need to use the GNU
ChangeLog format? Why don't we just switch to the default format of
git log like e.g. linux does it?

I have no strong opinion on this. On one side I dislike the need for a
tabulation before everything except the header, on the other hand I like
the header which takes only one line. :)

Hmm? Compairing the linux changelog format as seen at
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.23

and the GNU format, I'd say the main difference is that the Linux format is a bit more verbose by default and the linux format is not as rigid about the location of the information about which file(s) changed and which function(s) changed.

It is hard to get a good sense of the type and scopes of changes from the linux changelog, although I'm pretty certaint that that is due to the scope of Linux, not the changelog format.