Re: ChangeLog handling and git wrapper for translators

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> P.S.: If people insist on using the GNU changelog format I would suggest
> collapsing succeeding entries which have identical date and author
> information and loose the blank line between the summary and the
> changes. This would make it look more traditional and saves a lot of
> screen space.

Well, I think it's important to see each commit separately and merging
multiple entries loose this. Also not that I used the "committer date"
and not the "author date" as the date really represents the time that the
work was merged. So it means many commits could be grouped when one merges
some external work.

Also it depends on what we put in the git commit message. Currently the
log is generated as
"

	<subject>

and I expect the <subject> to be a summary and <body> to contain
a file-by-file explanation of the changes (with asterisks). Exacty like I did for the
two commits from this patch.

But we could be smarter when there's no <body> and preprend the subject
with a "* ".

Raphaël Hertzog