Re: migrating dpkg-cross diversions into dpkg-dev (was Dependencies on shared libs)

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 05:52:01 +0300
Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:

> > So far, pre1 is largely complete for dpkg-cross and the
> > dpkg-buildpackage diversion, barring an unknown number of possible
> > corner cases.
>
> I don't think those diversions are a good solution...

TBH, neither do I. I think dpkg-cross has a place but I do think it is
time to let dpkg-buildpackage.orig -a (as it is after the diversion)
actually do what cross-building actually needs. Clearly, as I noted in
my email to d-devel[0], the dpkg-shlibdeps diversion is a hindrance even
to those who do cross-build because it lacks current and imminent
improvements in the .orig file that would appear to be of significant
benefit to Emdebian in particular. dpkg-cross cannot drop it yet but I
would like to do so at some point.

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/08/msg00916.html

"I'd like to be able to not need dpkg-shlibdeps in dpkg-cross but if
the version in dpkg is not ready to be cross-compiler aware, a merge
with the latest dpkg code is well overdue. Emdebian has a lot to gain
from a more intelligent dpkg-shlibdeps to help prune the dependency
tree ever further."

Starting with dpkg-cross 1.99+2.0.0pre1, I'd like to therefore begin
the process of replacing the functionality provided by the
dpkg-buildpackage and dpkg-shlibdeps diversions so that dpkg-cross can
concentrate on the main task - providing access to the shared libraries
needed during a cross-build.

pre1 is currently in NEW, destined for experimental. Useful links:

http://alioth.debian.org/plugins/scmcvs/cvsweb.php/dpkg-cross/?cvsroot=dpkg-cross

http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2007/08/msg00021.html

The changes made so far *already* include an API change (the
replacement of dpkg-cross.pl with Debian::DpkgCross) so the time is
right to fold in other large changes during the life of dpkg-cross 2.x

> > It would be good if we could work together to close #283626
> > (which is 2 years and 265 days old!)
>
> I already offered my help on debian-embedded to try to merge dpkg-cross
> into dpkg-dev, which would be the proper place for that functionallity,
> instead of forking it.

Thank you. I take it you are referring to:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2007/02/msg00058.html

At the time, I wasn't able to take on the dpkg-cross rewrite needed for
other Emdebian requirements and I was rather concentrating on other
parts of the cross-building infrastructure in Debian/Emdebian.

Having started the rewrite of dpkg-cross, apt-cross and emdebian-tools
as a precursor to rewriting some other parts of the Emdebian
infrastructure to support automated cross-building (toolchains and
target packages), now is the perfect time to remove code from the
dpkg-buildpackage and dpkg-shlibdeps perl scripts provided by
dpkg-cross and eventually remove the diversions completely.

> Anyway, as Raphael said, the correct venue for this discussion is
> debian-dpkg, feel free to start it there. My offer still holds and
> I'm sure others will also be glad to help.

Wookey (Emdebian lead) commented at the time:

--

Neil Williams