Re: Dependencies on shared libs, news and difference between archs

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:19:02 +0200
Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

> Everything is available in the git branch:
> http://git.debian.org/?p=dpkg/dpkg.git;a=shortlog;h=dpkg-shlibdeps-buxy
>
> I think my work is mostly ready for unstable as it is. The last step is to
> convince Guillem Jover, the main dpkg maintainer, to merge that in the
> master branch. He believes that supporting odd cases encourages bad
> practice on library management. I don't think so. On the contrary I'd like
> to promote sane library management and I made some efforts in the included
> documentation to promote that. Feel free to check by yourself in the
> current version of dpkg-gensymbols's manpage:
> http://git.debian.org/?p=dpkg/dpkg.git;a=blob;f=man/dpkg-gensymbols.1;h=8bd39979599ba9580fa164cdddf73039a0e6c011;hb=40ed7b0685cfe9160dfd3a34b7babe3e604c8d7c
>
> Your comments are welcome of course.

Raphael - I'm in the middle of a rewrite of dpkg-cross, including the
diversion of dpkg-shlibdeps:

http://alioth.debian.org/plugins/scmcvs/cvsweb.php/dpkg-cross/?cvsroot=dpkg-cross

The main objective is to close some really, really old bugs and make it
easier to use dpkg-cross functions in other scripts, like apt-cross by
providing libdebian-dpkgcross-perl (hence NEW). apt-cross will also
provide libaptcross-perl (so that will go via NEW too) to better meet
the needs of emdebian-tools.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2007/08/msg00021.html

http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2007/08/msg00036.html

http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/serendipity/index.php?/archives/42-dpkg-cross-1.99+2.0.0pre1-in-NEW.html

dpkg-cross v1.99+2.0.0pre1 is currently in the NEW queue, destined for
experimental. I've planned a couple more pre-releases before it
migrates to unstable. I have a branch of apt-cross that uses the
rewritten dpkg-cross and I have amendments to emdebian-tools that will
complete the trilogy.

So far, pre1 is largely complete for dpkg-cross and the
dpkg-buildpackage diversion, barring an unknown number of possible
corner cases.

It would be good if we could work together to close #283626
(which is 2 years and 265 days old!)

where the patch against dpkg-cross 1.20 (itself based on dpkg-1.10.25)
is now out of date from both angles.

I'd appreciate any input you can provide because dpkg-shlibdeps isn't
particularly familiar to me and I purposely left this part of
dpkg-cross until this stage of the rewrite.

I'd like to be able to not need dpkg-shlibdeps in dpkg-cross but if the
version in dpkg is not ready to be cross-compiler aware, a merge with
the latest dpkg code is well overdue.

> PS: For those who didn't follow the whole story, I'm speaking here
> of that project:
> http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/ImprovedDpkgShlibdeps

Emdebian has a lot to gain from a more intelligent dpkg-shlibdeps to
help prune the dependency tree ever further.

--

Neil Williams