Re: Plans for Lenny's install-info

Hi again,

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 10:08:35AM +0200, preining@logic.at wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> On Die, 17 Apr 2007, Nicolas François wrote:
> >  + Changes in texinfo
> >    - the info package (or a new install-info package) replaces
> >      dpkg's install-info
>
> should be as mentioned a new install-info package

As mentioned by Ian Jackson, it is not strictly needed given the size of
the info package.

> >    - Add support for multiple dir files in the info viewer.
> >      This would permit update-info-dir to use the
> >      --dir-file /usr/share/info/debian-dir option.
> >      /usr/share/info/dir (and /usr/local/share/info/dir) could be used for
> >      non Debian's info files.
>
> This is already working as Karl mentioned (AFAIR)

Nice.

Would it make sense then to use /usr/share/info/debian/dir, and hardcode
this dir file in the info viewer.

My goal is to avoid corruptions by the packages manually installed (with
make && make install).

Do you know where the info files are installed in that case (in
/usr/share/info/dir, or somewhere in /usr/local)? And what dir file is
updated?

I'm short in time currently. I will try to update the proposal after next
week-end.

Best wishes,
--
Nekral