Re: Draft spec for new dpkg "triggers" feature (v2, repost)

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

> Yes, but I think it's actually better this way.  If an upgrade is
> non-trivial,  it's really desirable to have as many packages in an
> "as-configured-as-possible" state, and not leave them in installed or
> triggers-foo while trying the next bunch of packages.  Otherwise, the
> non-trivial upgrade might become a non-trivial failure...

Fair enough.

>>>     A package I may be installed and configured after and independently
>>>     of packages T which would have activated one of its triggers, had it
>>>     been installed earlier.  Therefore, I's postinst must do any work
>>>     needed for trigger processing even when called with "configure".
>
> What about
>
> s/work needed/work otherwise needed/, or even
> s/work needed/work that would otherwise be needed/

OK, but I'd change the order like that:

  Therefore, I's postinst, when called with "configure", must do any work
  work that would otherwise be needed for trigger processing.

It's slightly clearer IMHO because it doesn't contain the phrase 'for
trigger processing even when called with "configure"', which could be
interpreted as indicating that some trigger processing happens when the
script is called with "configure"...

--
Florent