Re: Question about dpkg -r

Hope Duryea writes ("Re: Question about dpkg -r "):
> dpkg did not need to create /usr (the symlink), but it
> wants to -- and does -- remove it just the same. As I
> mentioned before, there are plenty of other files
> under there, but none that came from a debian package.

Ohhhhh!

This is not a supported configuration.  Don't do that then.  If you
absolutely must do this, create a dummy package to contain /usr.

I do agree that this behaviour might occur on a real Debian system in
some obscure corner of the filesystem but the situation has to be very
contrived.  It can only happen to a directory which is present in only
one package but which the sysadmin has made be a symlink elsewhere.

Ian.