Re: Question about dpkg -r

Goswin von Brederlow writes ("Re: Question about dpkg -r"):
> Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> > So this package:
> >    usr
> >    usr/bin
> >    usr/bin/hello
> > is fine but this one:
> >    usr/bin/hello
> > is wrong.
>
> Which happens or did happen at some point. I think it was fixed.

Right, there were some packages broken like this but not many IIRC.
Certainly you shouldn't find that /usr is being deleted for this reason.

>  The
> other bug is that on removal (not purge) dpkg will remove directories
> from the list while it still has conffiles there. Not sure if that was
> fixed too or even attempted.

You mean the bug that it removes the directory from the list despite
not having been able to delete it, and then fails to delete it later ?
Yes, that's a bug but I don't think it's relevant here.

Ian.