Re: [patch] add support for .tar.lzma

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 02:50:14 +0200, Christian Leber wrote:
> this patch adds lzma support to dpkg, it just adds 4 files and does very
> minor changes, just like 10 lines.

> The 4 files are directly from the 7zip SDK, only 1 is slightly modified,
> the license is GPL.

> As you can see it's very simple.

Well it includes an implementation of an lzma decompressor, I'd not
say that's simple... I don't really like to include this in the dpkg
source tree. It's also lacking a compressor.

Please check 347715 for previous discussion and patch (it mostly
needs a s/p7zip/lzma/), we have been working with the lzma maintainer
in Debian to get a reasonable command line interface to be able to
use it from dpkg.

> I just recompressed the CD1 of debian testing for i386 with lzma and
> this saved 27% space.

I don't question the merits of lzma, I'm all for it, but not by
including it in dpkg, calling a command line tool and/or linking
against a library is reasonable though.

regards,
guillem