Re: Breaks is going to be implemented

Andreas Barth writes ("Re: Breaks is going to be implemented"):
> Actually, though breaks sounds like a good idea, I would really like if
> dpkg changes are discussed here before (or did I just overlook the
> discussion here?).

This particular dpkg feature has been specified and on the wishlist
forever (see my reference to the 1997 article) - certainly since well
before this mailing list existed.  My understanding is that everyone
thinks this is a good idea and agrees on the semantic specification.
As I said in my mail: `I trust that this meets with the approval of
everyone here'.

If there were some doubt about what was the right thing to do - eg for
some new feature which doesn't have an existing specification - then
of course I'd make sure to involve debian-dpkg.  As it was I thought a
message here to say that we were planning to implement it would be
sufficient and as you can see there wasn't really any discussion.

There's a need to develop a deployment plan for Debian, so that Debian
packages can use it sensibly and reliably, but I don't think the
actual implementation needs to wait for that.

Ian.