Re: Coming from rpm world.Difficulties.

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 17:56 -0700, nuno romano wrote:

> When trying to install binary libfltk I got:
> dpkg:
>   dependency problems prevent configuration
>   of libfltk1.1c102:
>   libfltk1.1c102 depends on libc6(>= 2.3.2.ds1-21);
>   however: version of libc6 on system is 2.3.2.ds1-20.

This is an error message to tell you that libfltk1.1c102 depends on a
newer version of libc6 than you have installed.

> In dpkg --status libfltk... -> status: install ok
> unpacked

The first of those three values ("install") is what _you_ want to happen
to that package, namely that you want it installed.

The third ("unpacked") is the status of it, if it were successfully
installed it would say "installed" ... here it says "unpacked".

> So,I have the same 2.3.2 libc6,and I have got that
> warning.Is the level of tolerance=0?Or this warning is
> harmless and the binary package runs OK if I configure
> it manually?What is the reaching of this warning?

It's not a warning.  You've been confused because dpkg doesn't check
dependencies until after unpacking the package (pre-dependencies are
used to check before).

Upgrade libc6 to the required version and then run "dpkg --configure -a"
to complete configuration and installation of libfltk.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?