how to upgrade a package without removing previous version

I am not sure if this question is supposed to be in this list. Anyways...
I would like to know if there's a way, with 'dpkg' or another tool, to upgrade a package without unistaling the previous version. In Red Hat/Fedora, this can be achieved with 'rpm -Uvh <package name>'. Is there a way to do the same in Debian? One detail: apt-get cannot be involved as I refer to the kind of package that is not related to a repository, it could be a package debianized from rpm via alien or packages such as skype or realplayer, that are not (at least I am not aware of) in a apt-get repository.
Thank you,

Nuno