Re: comments/string changes and issues with dpkg's messages

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 06:57:54AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > > Scott, the above was obiously humor but it then confuses my mind..:-)
> > > Do you actually agree with the messages better being *not*
> > > translatable or do you prefer keeping the current situation?
> > >
> > It's an interesting question, certainly; to my mind I don't think it's
> > any scarier to dump a scary english message or a scary french one.  The
> > added advantage to translating them is that the user might have the
> > skill to know what's going wrong and fix it, the disadvantage is that I
> > have to un-translate them when the error reports come in.

In my mind, the question is not whether we will scary the user or not, but
whether we will scary the translator or not. I agree with Eddy, we should
come up with a system saying a nice translated (but fixed) text to the user,
alongside with a geek informative (untranslated) message.

If the dude in front of the keyboard knows how to help, this involves
speaking english, which remains the development language. If he has no idea
of what's going on, he don't need the details about how things screwed up.
Some help about how to work around could help, but if it's a bug, we cannot
provide such an information beforehand.

It would be something like:

<<<<<<<<<<
An internal error occured in dpkg. Please report the issue to the debian
BTS if you can, alongside with any relevant information such as what you did
to reach this error and the detail of the issue indicated below. If you know
how to reproduce the issue, please make sure to indicate it in your report.
More information about reporting bugs against dpkg:
http://www.dpkg.org/how_to_report

Detail of the problem:
Cannot stat /var/lib/dpkg/status

Which would be translated in french to:

Une erreur interne s'est produite dans dpkg. Merci de faire un rapport
d'anomalie (en anglais) dans système de suivi des bugs (BTS) Debian [...]