Re: libc6-dev dependancy problem

damon fasching <damon3937@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone give me a hint as to how to solve the
> following problem I got when I tried to update my sid
> system yesterday?

You should read debian-amd64. The problem is fixed now but a bit
unsatisfactory. The base-files/glibc issue seems to hit flaws in dpkg.

> First, here is my uname -a output.
> ---------------------------
> Linux damon-3000 2.6.8 #3 Thu Aug 26 11:56:57 PDT 2004
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
> ---------------------------
> Here is the error I got while attempting to 'install'
> after 'update' in dselect.
> ---------------------------
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
> libc6-dev:
>  libc6-dev depends on libc6 (=
> 2.3.2.ds1-19.0.0.1.pure64); however:
>   Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.2.ds1-19.
> dpkg: error processing libc6-dev (--configure):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  libc6-dev

You can't install libc6-dev without uplading libc6 to the same
version. It is unclear why dselect would try that. Did you force
anything, like using 'Q'?

> ---------------------------
> I tried a couple of other things with the following
> results.
> ---------------------------
> # apt-get install libc6
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct
> these:
>   libc6: Conflicts: base-files (<
> 3.1.2-0.0.0.2.pure64) but 3.1.1.0.0.1.pure64 is to be
> installed
>   libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (=
> 2.3.2.ds1-19.0.0.1.pure64) but
> 2.3.2.ds1-19.0.0.3.pure64 is to be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with
> no packages (or specify a solution).

Huh? When did that happen? The base-files 3.1.2-0.0.0.2.pure64 was
uploaded over 12 hours ago while the libc6 2.3.2.ds1-19.0.0.3.pure64
is just a few hours old. There was never a time when that combination
was in the Packages file on alioth. This is beyond me.

> ---------------------------
> # apt-get install -f
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Correcting dependencies... Done
>   base-files libc6 libc6-dev
> Suggested packages:
>   glibc-doc
>   base-files libc6 libc6-dev
> 3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 89 not
> upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B/8845kB of archives.
> After unpacking 8192B disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> E: This installation run will require temporarily
> removing the essential package base-files due to a
> Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad, but if
> you really want to do it, activate the
> APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
> E: Internal Error, Could not early remove base-files
> ---------------------------

Thats much 'better'. This is just one of the tries to get it working
which dpkg didn't like.

> At the moment, due to an update problem from a couple
> of days previous, I can not login to this system under
> X.  I get to the graphical login page with the debian
> logo, but after typing my name and password the screen
> goes blank and then after a few seconds the login page
> returns.  I use fvwm 2.5.12.  This problem may have
> been cleaned up (a lot of X related stuff has been
> updated) but the libc6 dependancy problem is
> preventing me from installing the updated packages.

Try again now. I uploaded a base-files/libc6 combination that will
work for normal updates but can break if you fiddle around, e.g. by
downgrading base-files.

> Thanks!
>   Damon

MfG