Re: New method for Packages/Sources file updates

Hi,

My question: Does anyone know a reason why woody or sarge programs
would not be able to cope with a Packages/Sources file with a (or
multiple)

Package: removals[-timestamp?]
Removals: foo, bar, baz

stanza embedded in it?

For those of you that didn't read the debian-devel thread a short
summary of http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/11/msg00790.html:

I suggested a simple method of downloading only changes to
Packages/Sources files by sorting the Packages/Sources files with the
newest entries at the top. My suggestion also needs a tiny file
listing packages that have been completly removed form the
Packages/Sources file (not just updated).

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote about the very same idea in
his blog (http://blog.einval.com/2004/08/08#packages-files) but had
the idea of adding special stanzas into the Packages/sources file to
mark removals of packages.

For details on how updating the Packages/Sources files then work
please read the above urls. The details are not realy relevant to my
question. Suffice it to say it reduces daily updates to <1% of now and
allows very long gaps between updates (say up to 1 years at the
cost of +50K before gzip).

Now, I like the idea of having just a single file instead of
downloading two files. To mark packages that are removed completly
from a Packages file I thought about the following:

On each day and only if there were some removals a special stanza is
added at the top of the Packages file:

Package: removals[-timestamp?]
Removals: foo, bar, baz

I tested adding such a stanza to a Packages file and using that with
dselect (apt method only), apt-get and aptitude. The Packages file is
parsed correctly and the special stanza is ignored. It does not show
up in dselect, aptitude or apt-cache. The only sign of it I could find
was with apt-get (and I consider that harmless):

% sudo apt-get install removals
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package removals is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
E: Package removals has no installation candidate

MfG
        Goswin