Re: binary NMUs and version numbers

Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 08:58 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>
>> Andreas Barth wrote:
>> > One idea was to use for binary-only NMU as 1.2-3b1.
>>
>> Actually, it was 1.2-3+b1, iirc. Maybe I missed some later discussion.
>>
> Yes, it was +b1 ... for the following reason:
>
>> > This has the advantage
>> > that current dpkg can handle it, and also that britney doesn't get confused
>> > any more. However, it doesn't solve the second issue.
>>
>> Changing the security update policy to call packages "1.2-3+sec-woody1"
>> as well would solve it though.
>>
> The theory for using '+' was that it sorts *lower* than '.', so we could
> use 1.2-3.woody.1 or similar.  The reason we don't use that form today,
> iirc, is that it confuses the current "is it a Bin-NMU?" check.
>
> Scott
> --
> Have you ever, ever felt like this?
> Had strange things happen?  Are you going round the twist?

If dpkg-buildpackage would have a switch (or brains) for "build
recompile binary only NMU" that would set the "Source: foo (1.2-3)"
entry correctly to the non NMUed version would that suffice for katie
to see the right source is already there and for britney to do testing
propagations?

I guess katie would already work but britney might need some logic to
detect that a binary package from one source has different versions on
different archs and that that is ok.

Comments?

MfG
        Goswin

PS: dpkg-buildpackage could even ask for a reason and automatically
add the changelog entry (or prepare the changelog and fork an editor).