Re: malformed build-depends entry confusing dpkg-checkbuilddeps

severity 246235 normal
clone 246235 -1
reassign -1 dpkg
tags -1 - patch
thanks

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 01:18:12AM +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Package: php3
> Severity: serious
>
> Hi,
>
> the libmagick-dev (>=...) - which btw should be
> libmagick6-dev (>= 5:6.0.0.2-2) - and the postgreqsl builddep are
> malformed so that dpkg-checkbuilddeps does not note that the builddeps
> are installed.
>
> Add a space between >= and the number at the libmagick and remove the
> space between >= at the postgresql builddep.

This is not a serious bug in php3. Policy says:

     Whitespace may appear at any point in the version specification
     subject to the rules in Section 5.1, `Syntax of control files', and
     must appear where it's necessary to disambiguate; it is not otherwise
     significant.  For consistency and in case of future changes to `dpkg'
     it is recommended that a single space be used after a version
     relationship and before a version number; it is also conventional to
     put a single space after each comma, on either side of each vertical
     bar, and before each open parenthesis.

If dpkg-checkbuilddeps can't handle that (which appears to be the case
in a simple test), it needs to be fixed, even though the policy manual
recommends changing php3 too.

> By that chance you probably could fix the line to be actually one
> line...

That, I think, is a bug in php3; Build-Depends: fields aren't
technically allowed to be multi-line. However, dpkg-checkbuilddeps does
handle multi-line Build-Depends: fields.