Re: tomcat4 package not available

[Not sure how this would be dpkg's fault but...]

On Tuesday, March 23, 2004 8:21 AM,
Lars Tobias Borsting <lars.tobias.borsting@netcom.no> wrote:

> This is concerning tomcat4. I'm using Debian unstable and would like
> to install the tomcat4 package, but apt can't find it. I run:
>
> % apt-get install tomcat4
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package tomcat4 is not available, but is referred to by another
> package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been
> obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> E: Package tomcat4 has no installation candidate
>
> It can neither find any of the other packages concerning the tomcat4
> package. I have checked ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main and mirrors
> and can't find anything with the name tomcat or jakarta in it, so it
> is kind of strange.

It's not strange at all. `tomcat4' isn't in main - it's in contrib. (The
clue being the large red `contrib' at the top of
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/tomcat4 :->).

Basically, you need to add `contrib' after `main' in /etc/apt/sources.list.

hth

Adam