Re: drop or keep non-free - from users viewpoint

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 11:06:28AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> One thing I'd really like to see (in apt-get, apt-cache, dpkg,
> dpkg-deb, and so on), is some kind of tag indicating the origin of the
> package.
>
> We've got Section: and Priority:, but nothing about Distribution: -- I
> think each of the logical columns in /etc/sources.list warrants a
> meta-tag inserted in the package description at unpack time.

That used to be easier to distinguish before we migrated to the pools
hierarchy on the archive servers (which was a good move, BTW).  You can
grep the /var/lib/apt/lists/*_Packages files for the specific version,
but that's certainly not as convenient as a clean front-end tool.
Speaking of convenient tools, look at the grep-dctrl package and it's
cmdline tool 'grep-available'.  To find which archive a package came
from, pop over to /var/lib/apt/lists/ and do something like:

	for pkgfile in *_Packages
	do
		echo "Searching $pkgfile"
		grep-dctrl -P <package> $pkgfile
	done

That should give you the info you want w/o having to read up on
grep/awk/sed. ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/