Re: drop or keep non-free - from users viewpoint

[Please be careful about headers on replies to this message, it's
crossposted.  Trim lists which are irrelevant to your context.]

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 04:05:41PM +0100, Markus wrote:
> Hy!
> I'm using Debian GNU/Linux now for 3 years as my only Operating System and
> i have read almost the complete discussion here about non-free.
> I think it could be useful to read the view of a normal user about this
> issue because i think the discussion is sometime at a high level of
> rhetoric words and not on the level which relate to the normal users.

Interesting take.  For the full message, see:
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200403/msg00347.html

One thing I'd really like to see (in apt-get, apt-cache, dpkg, dpkg-deb,
and so on), is some kind of tag indicating the origin of the package.

We've got Section: and Priority:, but nothing about Distribution: --
I think each of the logical columns in /etc/sources.list warrants a
meta-tag inserted in the package description at unpack time.

This is almost independent of the outcome of the vote.

For backwards compatibility, I'd think that these headers would need
to be passed in environmental variables (and use "unknown" or "local"
or some other such default if those variables are not set).

There might be some need for a cleanup utility to strip this information
out of the package database [at least for testers, who might want to
upgrade to the new dpkg multiple times].

I don't know that I have much else to say about this -- maybe something
similar is already in the works?

--
Raul