Re: Speed improvements

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> > - There should be no such thing as /var/lib/dpkg/available -- I think
> >   that dpkg shouldn't know anything about not installed packages.
>
> Right.

So, shouldn't that be added to the list of DEPs?

> >   [...] every installed package should
> >   have its own *.status file in /var/lib/dpkg/info directory.[...]
>
> That is an option, but I think we need to make a different change:
> instead of a single status file it should be split up into a file
> with information that is needed to resolve dependencies, and a seperate
> file that contains 'fluff' such as package descriptions, maintainer
> information, etc.

What are advantages of splitting it that way?  File with 'fluff' would
be still big, and effective looking for information would need some
indexing.  If we create status file for every package, filesystem will
index it for us :)
Could you also tell why dependencies information should be put
somewhere else than rest?

> dpkg-query is supposed to become such a query tool. At the moment it
> only adds the showformat stuff. The next interesting change would be
> a good filter expression so you can tell it which packages to output,
> but I haven't been able to come up with a good syntax for that so far.

What do you think about grep-dctrl syntax?  Does it lack anything
important?

--
michau@
    Then it comes to be that the soothing news at the end of the funnel