dselect update with local archive gives "Failed to fetch"

Following directions in

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-basico.en.html#s-sources.list

and after downloading serveral .deb files to /root/debs, I tried dselect and did
access apt and then update; however, I got several error messages like:

 Err file: stable/main Packages File not found
Failed to fetch file: /root/debs/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages File not found

the /root/debs did not contain any subdirectories because I saw no instructions for
how the .debs file should be arranged in subdirectories.  Are there any
such instructions that I can follow to avoid the above errors in dselect?