Re: (inc. note from dpkg developers) Re: Bug#XXXXXX: (far too many packages) needs rebuilt for prelinking

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 01:27:26PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> > > Another file(in the same dir or elsewhere).
> >
> > At which point you have duplicates of all your libraries.  In addition
> > to wasting 167MB on my system, you've created a whole slew of
> > unreproducible bug reports when libraries get out of sync.
>
> Not the entire file, just the needed preload data.  Similiar in idea to
> /etc/ld.so.cache, or /lib/i686/ style optimiations.

This is why I asked you to come back when you'd read about how prelink
works.  This isn't practical; it's not data, but an actual modification
of the binary.  It's advance resolution of the relocations, which means
that at least the .got section has separate contents.  And that's in
the middle of a loaded segment.

> > Have you ever considered how much of a pain in the ass it is to try to
> > convince someone who just answers every message with "you need to
> > convince me!  And you're wrong!"?  This in a thread that started with
> > people skills?  It wasn't all that long ago I had more dpkg experience
> > than you did, Adam.  Please don't try to use the fact that you've put
> > in (a lot of good) work on a project to turn yourself into some kind of
> > gatekeeper for All That Is Right.
>
> Well, I feel I'd rather not have prelink, then have it modifying files.  Also,
> it's not only me that thought that way, but Wichert as well.

Wichert can speak for himself, you know.  I'll talk to him about it
next time I see him and see if we can work out a compromise.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz