Re: installing a package with --root= without being root

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 03:20:04PM +0200, loic wrote:
> Like:
> http://www.freealter.com/fr/Produits/Distrib/
>
> But I guess your point would be to do it with dpkg... cool.

	You guessed right.

I will find it cool too when it works ;)

> The Fink team is doing so for Darwin (their problem is more the port
> than dpkg):
> http://fink.sourceforge.net/

	I had checked that. I might ask them how they did, but my problem is
a bit tricky: see below.

> Do you mean a linux from scratch using dpkg as package manager or
> minimal install of a unix and hand on dpkg for the rest of the
> install?

	FAS is developping a distribution on top of a unix. Users just add a line in
their .profile in order to have access to the free binaries and librairies.

Currently, all has been home made, with scripts in sh and tcl. Users can
also tune their system with a GUI (which gcc they want, which shell, etc).
The system does not interfer with the unix host: packages are relocatable
and dependancy tracking is maintained by the distribution.

Dpkg could help making the packages cleaner. The autobuild tools seem
interesting too.

However, the tricky part is that currently, packages are installed in a
separate tree, without requiring to be root.

> A few links you might find useful:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2001/debian-dpkg-200103/msg00043.html
> http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2002/02/0590.html

	Thanks a lot !