installing a package with --root= without being root

	Hi,

I am planning to develop a gnu distribution on top of some Unix system (SGI,
HP UX, Irix,...).
The problem is that I would prefer not to be root and install all the
packages in a user directory (user gnu_distrib for example).

With the --root option, the function chroot() is called and superuser is
required. I tried fakeroot dpkg --root=/tmp/debian -i mypackage.deb with no
success.

By the way, if anybody had a link to some tutorial on how to build a whole
system based on dpkg from scratch, it would help !

Thank you for your attention.

--
Nicollet Xavier  I2 Info
EFREI Linux:     http://www.linux.efrei.fr/