Re: Builds undistributalbe debs without perl in the standard path.

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 08:51:34AM +0900, YAEGASHI Takeshi wrote:
> When perl executable is not in the standard path (/usr/local/bin/perl,
> for instance), it generates perl scripts with the corresponding header
> and results in undistributable debs.

> % which perl
> /usr/local/bin/perl
> % head -5 /usr/sbin/update-alternatives
> #! /usr/local/bin/perl --
>
> I understand that is because dpkg is no longer for GNU/Linux system
> only.  I think it's good idea to restrict PATH for configure in
> debian/rules.

> -       cd $(@D) && LDFLAGS=$(LDFLAGS) $(DIR)/configure \
> +       cd $(@D) && LDFLAGS=$(LDFLAGS) PATH=/usr/bin:/bin $(DIR)/configure \

but if the person building dpkg has perl in some other location, how do you
know they have it in /usr/bin or /bin? And if they do, how do you know if
they want to use those over the one in /usr/local/bin? Their $PATH could
indicate quite the opposite, like yours did.

Packages can't predict the nature of their environments...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.