Re: installing a package with --root= without being root

Xavier Nicollet wrote:
> I am planning to develop a gnu distribution on top of some Unix system (SGI,
> HP UX, Irix,...).

But I guess your point would be to do it with dpkg... cool.
The Fink team is doing so for Darwin (their problem is more the port
than dpkg):

> By the way, if anybody had a link to some tutorial on how to build a whole
> system based on dpkg from scratch, it would help !

Do you mean a linux from scratch using dpkg as package manager or
minimal install of a unix and hand on dpkg for the rest of the

A few links you might find useful:

Have fun and let us know,