Re: dpkg triggers

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 12:40:10PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 12:36, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 04:04:10PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > Other applications are for "update-menus" and for things like "texhash",
> > > which really only need to be run once after a complete apt-get
> > > dist-upgrade (or maybe not at all if none of the applicable packages
> > > got upgraded).
> > It might make sense for mandb, too.
> This sounds different to what I want.  I want a script to be run after every
> package is installed.  But running a script after the completion of apt-get
> would be handy too.

A way of doing both would be to add a simple database, which maps an
"event" to a script to be run. Possible events could be "dpkg run",
or "postinst of <package name glob>". It'd seem like a more flexible
infrastructure than having 8 directories to run-parts over for every
package that's changed, at least. (iirc, run-parts is also pretty horrible
at passing information to and from the scripts)

Cheers,
aj

                        Vote [1] Bdale!