Re: Fwd: dpkg triggers

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:29, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > If the postinst gives an error then my script must still be run (doing
> > otherwise may leave the system in a state where it's impossible to
> > login).
>
> That's positively nasty, it means you end up with continuing while we
> know we are in an error state.

No, it means having an error recovery proceedure.  Running the trigger script
with a parameter indicating that it's being run in an error-cleanup condition
should not cause any problems.

As for being nasty, /bin/login must have the sid
system_u:object_r:login_exec_t to indicate that it gets special privs
(setuid, setgid, etc).  This sid must be applied to the inode after the new
file is installed.

> > If my script was to return an error then I think that dpkg should
> > consider it to be the same as if the postinst had returned an error and
> > leave the package unconfigured.
>
> Absolutely not, a failed trigger is a completely seperate thing from a
> failed postinst. It is a different package for one thing.

OK.  It doesn't bother me anyway, my trigger has no need to return an error
condition (if something goes wrong it probably indicates a much more serious
problem).

> I'm starting to dislike the whole SELinux thing more and more, I suspect
> this can be done a lot simpler with a different approach.

Well I'm sure that the NSA people will be interested in hearing any
suggestions, but they aren't really concerned about packaging issues.

The NSA documents on installation are based around the idea of installing all
software, labelling the files with the correct SID, then rebooting.  We could
follow the NSA proceedures and require a reboot after every package
installation...