dpkg bootstrapping

Hi,

	I've gotten to the point in my AIX port where a valid deb is built
using dpkg-buildpackage. However, trying to install the .deb using dpkg -i
gives me the error

dpkg: failed to open package info file '<build prefix>/lib/db/status' for
reading: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.

	If I do a 'touch <build prefix>/lib/db/status' to create the
file, I then get a 'failed to malloc for info file' - so obviously the
program is expecting some content to be there already.

	Yes, I have the code, and yes I can figure it out eventually, but
I'm sure people on this list can tell me in a jiffy the right way of
running dpkg the first time when none of the infrastructure for Debian
exists on the system. (I spent the night scouring the code of
boot-floppies for hints and found mention of a script (or directory)
called debootstrap, but I didnt find the code for it in the boot-floppies
tree).

	Help!

Jor-el