Re: Automating dpkg-reconfigure answers via a shell script

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
Previously VALETTE Eric wrote:

the --set-selection trick with dselect install is a good way to
copy the list of pacakges. For package configuration you could
copy the debconf database from the other machine, or look at
cdebconf which from what I remember has bits of multiple database
support.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Package configuration make things beyond storing the default values in various file.

If I want to configure wu-ftpd by default, it does require to create directories and copy part of the libraries.

I hope there is a solution because automated package installation is something really usefull when you have more than 200 computers... Cloning disk installation (e.g using well known tools) is not satisfaying for my case.

Think about network configuration for example, I do not want to duplicate addresses (I unfortunately cannot use HDCP because of lack of dynamic DNS right now) or machine name.

Is there any technical reason why

dpkg-reconfigure package <<EOF
entry1
entry2
EOF

cannot work? Using strace I have seen call to open /dev/tty -> 6
and then read(6, ...) instead of read 0...

--
   __
  /  `                          Eric Valette - Canon CRF